This month, I was proud to be part of the organizing committee for the SCBWI Illinois conference, Prairie Writer’s and Illustrator’s Day.
This was the first time we’d had an in-person conference since the pandemic and I am still feeling the happy after effects.
The key takeaways?
- Plenty of story craft advice.
- Inspiring keynotes by Michael Leali and Adriana Hernandez Bergstrom about mastering the ups and downs of the artist’s journey.
- The opportunity to chat to publishing industry professionals including art directors (Maryn Arreguin from Sourcebooks and Brian LaRossa from Scholastic), editors (Hannah Hill from Delacorte Press and Kelly Delaney from Crown Books for Young Readers), and agents (Sartiza Hernández from Andrea Brown Literary Agency and D. Ann Williams from Emerald City Literary Agency).
- Individual feedback and a selection of panels and workshops to choose from.
- Best of all, connecting with my supportive, creative, lively kidlit community. A huge thanks to the team on my organizing committee, especially Committee Chair, Jenny Wagh. Roll on next year.